Monday, October 19, 2015

Open House Dublin: 12 Henrietta Street


Henrietta Street is Dublin's earliest Georgian Street and this house is Georgian Dublin's finest. A street full of surprises, I tell you. The entrance to King's Inn is spectacular and there is a picnic-worthy park right behind the cul-de-sac. Also, quite a few movies and TV shows were filmed there, such as Albert Nobbs and Penny Dreadful.

The moment I stepped into this majestic house, I immediately knew I was in for a treat. An architectural titan. A throwback to the 18th century. This quintessentially Georgian townhouse was built in 1731 and designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce. From wealthy aristocratic ballers to slummy tenement housing, this house has seen everything; no. 12 is the epitome of the glory and the misery of an era. Centuries of history with no witnesses left - just imagine the stories this house could tell. The whole place screams haunted - some creepy displays of taxidermy, an eerie garden in the backyard, creaky stairs... You could almost hear footsteps from the past.


Let's focus on the beautiful interiors. Ceilings so high it makes you feel as if there's no roof. A bit like Downton Abbey with a touch of Addams Family. Gems and relics like paintings, piano and antiques add some bygone opulent luxury to the decadent decor. Rich details like embellished stairways and plasterwork wonders are an absolute delight to the sight. I wonder how exactly did it look like before being converted to tenements.The property has this atmospheric allure that one can only experience when the house itself has a soul (in this case, plenty of souls, I reckon) and the mirrors harbour memories.


Open House Dublin, presented by the Irish Architecture Foundation, offered the visitors the opportunity to get an up close and personal sneak peek, inviting the people to explore the urban secret side of the city. It's not like this house (and many other venues) would be open to public on a regular basis. I was so impressed with this piece of heritage that I couldn't help daydreaming and thinking how it would be if that house was my home. What struck me the most was the timeless nostalgia around those spacious rooms, with candle-lit chandeliers and old furniture smell. I'll never look at a building the same way as I will always wonder what would I find behind those bricks, beneath those layers of fading wallpaper... Gosh, I would've been a great real estate agent, ah! Anyway, if you look at these photos and still think "It's just a feckin' old house", think twice.

13 comments:

  1. THe stuff my dreams are actually made of... viver numa casa dessas deve ser o paraíso!!
    http://bloglairdutemps.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so cozy *-*

    Ana ♥
    http://aruivablog.blogspot.pt/ N/ POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Essa tua paixão por casas antigas!...:-)
    Belas fotos; fixei-me no piano e nos quadros,e nas loiças!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this house is so creepy and beautiful. I love old houses - I love imagining the people who have lived there and the stories the house could tell if the walls could talk. As a previous home to high-end and low-tenant tenants, I can imagine this house in particular would have some funny, horrifying and sad tales to share if it could.

    Wonderful photographs and I love your commentary - you could be a estate agent, although perhaps a slightly macabre one!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I could imagine sitting reading a book by the first window. Also that giant mirror is divine <3

    Claire xx
    J'adore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love LOVE anything from this era! If there was a time traveller's machine I know where I would use it to go :)
    xo
    http://natbeesfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've moved to Dublin! How exciting!! Surely we can agree that is more exciting than my little travels! It's such a lovely city, I am sorry you have been having trouble with work though. At least we are in the same boat kind of, right? :) Also, this house is absolutely beautiful and you captured it with your camera amazingly. If only we could travel back in time..

    Kaylee
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous gorgeous pictures!! I really wanted to visit it this year but couldnt make it, your pictures and vivid write up make me feel like i was there so i kinda feel better, although a teeny bit jealous :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. ''A bit like Downton Abbey with a touch of Addams Family.'' I'm so in!! Acho que pra gente curiosa feito nós uma casa nunca é só um pedaço de tijolos! Adorei as tuas descrições e as fotos, com tantos detalhes que mesmo estando muito tempo a vê-las acho que me escapa algo. Fico contente ao menos de conhecer estas coisas por ti :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful! I love houses that are a bit worn in, a bit creaky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a wonderful idea and the interior of this house
    is so amazing, this really inspires me to decorate my tiny student
    room a bit more. ;)

    la-ailurophile.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, esse espelho!

    É a primeira vez que passo aqui e gostei taaanto das tuas fotos, vou seguir ;)

    ReplyDelete